Flats on fire in Canterbury City Centre

Kent FireTen fire appliances and two height vehicles attended the incident at the 4 blocks of flats which was constructed in 2011 and was home to 65 families. The blaze started at about 2pm in the utility room of a top-floor flat in and quickly spread, uncontrolled to neighbouring apartments and into adjoining blocks through poorly constructed fire compartmentation.

"...in this case the fire compartmentation was not up to the required standard..”

A total of 36 homes were affected, with five completely destroyed, as flames ripped through the block of flats, luckily all residents escaped without injury.  

A Fire Service spokesman said ‘When we arrived we could not believe how quickly the fire had spread. Normally flats and apartments of this type are provided with good fire separation to ensure the fire remains in the room or apartment of origin, obviously in this case the fire compartmentation was not up to the required standard’.

Santia is holding a free Seminar on 'Fire safety in social supported housing and the responsibilities imposed on landlords.'

14th July - The Studio, Cannon Street, Birmingham B2 5EP

8.30am arrival

9.00am start

finish 12.00

followed by light lunch

 

11th August -

The Palace, Hotel, Oxford St, Manchester M60 7HA

0161 288 1111

 

8.30am arrival

9.00am start

Finish 12.00

Followed by light lunch

The seminar will address:

  • Recent incidents of fire in social supported housing
  • Recent enforcement and prosecution cases
  • Recent changes to the fire safety standards
  • Landlord and service provider responsibilities
  • Meeting regulatory compliance and avoiding enforcement action

Click here to register for the free seminar.

Click here to download our whitepaper on the topic.

Post date: 07 Jul 2015

Back to listing page